The story of O'Connor's Funeral Directors began in 1887 when Timothy O'Connor set up the business in The Square, Kenmare, Co. Kerry. From there, Timothy started supplying horse-drawn hearses and carriages to serve the people of Kenmare and the surrounding areas. Timothy's untimely death in 1912, meant his wife Lucy and their son James carried on the business for many years. It was James who purchased the first motor hearse in the Kenmare area in the 1930s.
In 1968, James' eldest son, Timothy, took over the family business and opened the first purpose built funeral home in the Kenmare area in 1981 on a site he purchased in Dromneavane, Kenmare, offering a complete funeral service. In 2011, Timothy handed over the business to his son James but still plays an active part in the day to day running of the business. James is the fourth generation of the O'Connor family to maintain the role of funeral director.
When Timothy and Lucy O'Connor established the company more than 130 years ago, they did so out of a desire to support and care for local bereaved families. This support and care is something which still lies at the heart of the company today.